Content Harry Potter Other

Reviews

Minerva Granger posted a comment on Tuesday 25th September 2007 4:58pm for Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?

Oh, shit about the death eaters sotrming the burrow

trailmix posted a comment on Saturday 11th August 2007 10:05pm for Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?

I think YoR had a hand in my disappointment of Deathly Hallows. Of course, most of it was JKR’s fault. I was foolish to think that the attack at the DoM would be revisited and the abhorrent behaviour of Ron and Hermione in HBP would be explained, amongst other things.

I’m glad that you brought out Ron’s insecurities and jealousy towards Harry to the surface. It was always a constant presence in their friendship that I think wasn’t properly dealt with in the books.

Bill stepping in and daring them to have a go at each other was a perfect way to knock some sense into their addled brain. This was a turning point for Harry and Ron’s relationship and you did a great job in showing that.

Nice touch on how they started to mend their friendship, by re-enacting their first meeting at the Hogwarts train. It was simple and yet touching, most especially Ron finally apologizing to Hermione.

The Midnight Poster posted a comment on Thursday 9th August 2007 10:09am for Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?

You could of left Blaise in the story but as a male for laughs :) The token gay guy? Might leave Harry scard though...

DAMNED posted a comment on Friday 27th July 2007 2:32pm for Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?

KEEP IT COMING PLZ

Decumo9 posted a comment on Wednesday 11th July 2007 1:47pm for Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?

is this a harry/hermione, or is that just a passing fancy.

Full_Pensieve replied:

At one time, my answer to a shipper would have been that YoR is an H/Hr fic.   Three things have changed that.   First, it's not a romance - at least not in the sense that 'romance' is understood in this fandom.   Second, some parts of the Portkey crowd - including a couple of 'major' writers there - decided that YoR wasn't an H/Hr fic and took it upon themselves to let me know this rather loudly and forcefully.   That's why you won't find any of my work at Portkey anymore.   Third, I'm not entirely sure where this re-engineering of the fic will take me.   Are Harry and Hermione two of the most important characters in the story arc?   Yes, I'd say they're #1 and #2 in that aspect.   Is this an H/Hr fic?   Some would say yes, some would say no.

Cheers,
Mike [FP]

tubin posted a comment on Monday 9th July 2007 10:40am for Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?

I'm really enjoying your re-write. I find it interesting that you have corrected small details (like Blaise vs Daphne) to fit newer canon but at its core the story can't be canon as long as Dumbledore plays such a huge part... Not that I'm complaining, mind you. You've retained the best of the previous version of the story and your writing is tighter and more vibrant, now. Thanks for putting in the effort!

Full_Pensieve replied:

Honestly, Tubin, some of the small corrections (particularly the one you referenced) were made so as to avoid long discussions with newer readers: "Blaise is a boy, you dunce!" and so on.   Those of you who've been around a while have the history to know why that happened.   Another was inserting Scrimgeour as an Auror.   You're right, though, in that an enormous amount of YoR isn't 'canon'.   It can't be.   It picks up after OotP.   No love potions.   No horcruces.   No odd characterizations.   I am grabbing a few things from HBP; careful readers of YoR the First probably spotted the Half-Blood Prince's potions book in the old CH 35, for example.   However, YoR was built around a 2003 plot arc and really has to stay there.   Thanks for reviewing.

Cheers,
Mike [FP]

Ken Warner posted a comment on Thursday 5th July 2007 2:06am for Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?

greatly enjoying the new version - It is almost like reading a new story with familiar elements.

Do you have an ending in mind beyond where the original stopped?? (hope hope) This is one of my top unfinished stories.
warmest regards

Full_Pensieve replied:

Yes, Ken, I do have an ending in mind well beyond where the original stops.   I think it's appropriate for me to see where the fandom and the readership stands after DH before I plow on with something rather ambitious and *clearly* not "canon".   There are a number of small differences, indeed.   I had more than three years to be bothered by elements I didn't like - LOL.   Thanks for leaving a review.

Cheers,
Mike [FP]

morriganscrow posted a comment on Tuesday 3rd July 2007 10:39pm for Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?

Full_Pensieve replied:

rado_hp posted a comment on Monday 18th June 2007 2:03pm for Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?

Wow! I can't wait until you finish this one! I really like where it's heading.

Musings of Apathy posted a comment on Sunday 17th June 2007 2:36pm for Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?

Very excellent story. You've captured the uncertainty and problems of a young man Harry's age, especially one that is the committing type, as I believe canon Harry is. He has urges, he has wants, he has emotions, he just doesn't know what to do with them yet. Great job.

Also, the comments about cliché plot lines? I found none of the plot lines or devices in this fic to be cliché. Perhaps they have existed in other fics, but not as well written as here. A previously used plot line only becomes cliché, when, upon reuse, it is not used in a manner that is refreshing, but rather it drags and is overly predictable.

Too bad about Voldemort impersonating Sirius, there.

Thank you for writing.

Mike (MoA)

Full_Pensieve replied:

Thanks, Mike.   I've been reading 'Cracked Reservoir', BTW, but am only about halfway through so haven't commented (I like what I'm reading, though).  

With regard to clichés, I would point out to other readers of this review thread something  that was discussed amongst the FFA.net writers: that  Part 1 of YoR, which encompassed Chapters 1-19, was originally written between August and  December of 2003.   At the time, nothing was  clichéd in post-OotP fics; they were all new at that time.   I didn't see fit to radically change the  plot arc  in this revision, although nearly four years of reflection on the work has led me to change a few things.

Cheers,

Mike [FP]

brad posted a comment on Saturday 16th June 2007 8:14pm for Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?

This notion that telling the secret *verbally* dissolves the Fidelius charm ... pretty sure that's a new one, and unique to this story; I don't recall any such mention of such a vulnerability in canon. "twice aloud in succession"??? You must have decided on this for a reason ...

Great demonstration of the charm taking effect, with the dematerialisation of the house and neighbourhood temporarily into 'nothingness', and ending up with those present with Harry being so confused until they are told the secret.

POOR HERMIONE!! I say again, this story of yours was a masterpiece in how you used the prophecy to such avail, in slowly destroying Hermione bit by bit, driving Harry frantic in trying to stop the mental deterioration of his best friend. I just feel *so much* for Hermione here, and in the original story's future chapters.

And so the dream! With the Fidelius only freshly laid, here's Harry saying out loud - sort of - the secret that it is protecting. Dunno if he stated it twice here, or just once. Oh dear.

Great dialogue in the dream ... poor Cho, great Luna, and Ginny. And their first kiss, sort of? "world exploding" and all, very nice.

dboris posted a comment on Saturday 16th June 2007 8:12am for Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?

So, I've read the first seven chapters a looked quickly the other chapters before skipping to the last one. I didn't miss much.

From the start, it was basically a cliché post-Ootp fanfiction. There's no originality and characters are poorly made.
Well, an example of the poor characterisation would be a scene with lupin. Here.
Lupin yelling "where is he where is he" like a 5yo retard when Harry mention a dream about Voldemort and Wormtail.
Or, Harry getting angry when he see Draco and his mother during the Will reading. It's just the reaction we could expect from a retard.

I just find that continuing to write this story is a real waste of time. You could write a good and creative story, something worthy of AFF.net.

I don't mean to be rude to you or anything, it's just that I expected much more from a fanfiction I found on AFF.net, and I hoped you would finally find something despite the cliché start of the story, but seven chapters later, well, even at the last chapter there was nothing original.

Well, regards,
dboris

Full_Pensieve replied:

I find it interesting that you would bother to indicate that you don't mean to be rude immediately following several lines of rudeness.  

For a start, AFF.net is Adult Fan Fiction.net.   This is FFA.net.   If you're going to be a troll, you can at least state the name of the site correctly.   If you actually meant AFF.net, then (a) you're in the wrong place, and (b) it's no wonder that you were confused and turned-off by the fic.

I have this sneaking hunch that you're one of those irritating little boys who haunt the dark corners over at DLP.   Perhaps you're expecting every fic to contain the so-called "Independent!Harry" characterization, wherein Harry becomes a well-armed smart-ass who knows far more than Harry could possibly know and whose primary objectives are (a) to ditch all of his friends, (b) to talk smack to Dumbledore as much as possible, (c) load up with the biggest arsenal this side of Rambo, and (d) kill everything that moves.   I won't be writing that tripe.   If that's what you want to read, then go forth and read the recs over at DLP.  

Do you write, per chance?   Please send me links, so I can read your brilliant characterizations and comment upon them.   Then again, the poor sentence structure and meandering thoughts in your review both suggest strongly that you can not write.

Buh-bye,
Mike [FP]

Kay posted a comment on Friday 15th June 2007 9:36am for Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?

whoa, this book is seriously moving along!

KingDark posted a comment on Friday 15th June 2007 5:35am for Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?

well, I rushed trough all the chapters, and I find it quit a good story so far, not the usual, oh I think I love you xx oh, i love you back xx lets, go to bed and xx with the other

no, the relationship is much more balanced now.

Kingdark

TxA_GunFighter posted a comment on Wednesday 13th June 2007 6:00am for Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?

Good chapter, bummer at the end.

gunny

john2 posted a comment on Monday 11th June 2007 10:53pm for Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?

This, in my opinion, is the first chapter that's an improvement upon the prior editions - this dream lets the discriminating reader know that the Dream Sirius is not what he appears to be - especially when he's relying upon Witch Weekly for information!

So, did Harry pop the Fidelius charm when he blurted the address to Tom-as-Sirius in the dream? It certainly wasn't his intent, that's for sure. I shall content myself with finding out the answer in the next, bits and blood-spattered chapter (if this follows the arc of the prior version).

Carry on - I'm enjoying the read.

hp4all posted a comment on Monday 11th June 2007 9:09pm for Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?

This chapter had its fair share of changes. The only constant through the edits is the quality. It is still a fascinating read.

This dream was more subtle, as we never saw the red eyes at the end of it. We saw a pair of lions, on the other hand. I do not remember them in previous edits. I wonder if it is foreshadowing of some kind.

The biggest surprise was the Grangers appearing at Harry's doorstep. This definitive version seems to be much more than just another edit.

I am also very curious about Harry saying the address twice in his dream. There was a passage on vulnerability of Fidelius earlier in the chapter. The passage seems to be new to the story, and I wonder if Harry mentioning the address twice in his dream could bring the hiding charm down. That would depend on the ability of the Grangers to see the house. I guess I have to wait until the next chapter.

Amamama posted a comment on Monday 11th June 2007 5:19pm for Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?

Ouch. I get stomach cramps from this. That wasn't Sirius at all, was it? It was Voldemort - and now Harry told him the bloddy address! Why didn't Harry sense the wrongness in Sirius' behaviour? Was he so happy to see him that he forgot his constant vigilance? Will he realize it? Eff it. And Voldy went straight to the Grangers to off them - which is why they're standing outside no. 12 now. Oh, dear. What a glorious mess.

Thank you! A wonderful read, as always.

Evan Mayerle posted a comment on Monday 11th June 2007 3:00pm for Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?

Excellent scenes throughout and that dream with Sirius was a hoot (sounds like the basis for quite a reality TV show, or the wizarding equivalent). I do like the way Harry & Hermione are coming together, but I'll wager that won't go smoothly. The ending sequence ws definitely something of a tame cliffie to prepare us for stronger ones later.

warpwizard posted a comment on Monday 11th June 2007 8:56am for Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?

What sort of wine goes with fear? = LOL

Good chapter. I'm not sure if Sirius was really himself...