Content Harry Potter Other

Reviews

Cathy Ann Walker posted a comment on Saturday 27th October 2012 11:48am

>>Heather locked eyes with Lockhart. "Wha… you… how… YOU!" she spluttered.

>>"I’m sorry? I don’t believe we’ve met?" Lockhart said jauntily.

>>"How could you… how could you do the things you’ve done?" Heather thundered. She pulled herself free from Covelli, shaking all the while. "HOW COULD YOU?"

>>Lockhart took a step forward. "Clearly something is troubling you, young lady. I merely wished to compliment you on your performance — Celestina is right to say that you are remarkable."

>>"HORRIBLE! HOW COULD YOU DO THOSE THINGS?" Heather railed at him.

Dumbledore tells Harry that Phasma Transluli was a ritual to transfer Voldemorts essense into another body to take it over and supress the other persons mind.

So Voldemor tookover Lockhardts body,because his mind was fractured from that failed obliviation in Harrys 2nd year downin the Chamber of Secrets. Lockhardt probably agreed to it, being the fraud that he is.

ginsengh posted a comment on Saturday 7th July 2012 8:41pm

I remembered you updating some things a few months ago on the other site so I decided to come take a look here to see if YoR might have received an update. Glad to see that I wasn't disappointed. It may not be the continuation of one of the best stories I've ever read (to include both fan-fiction and published work), but it does at least offer some sort of closure to the events that were never posted.

I'll continue to hope that you find the motiviation to truly finish this story in a way you had originally intended at some point. Until then though I thank you for giving us readers a chance to experience the amazing ride that was YoR.

geeves posted a comment on Thursday 31st May 2012 6:53am

FP - good stuff as always. I'm sad that this story may never be finished, but I am happy that The Last Horcrux has seen closure.

@Denya - "At the time you leave the story, Harry as little to no control over the magic he can access when he's angry - did you have any idea how that was going to happen? And presumably it would play a big part in Voldie's defeat."

I think Harry's journey or YoR may be somewhat answered by the "epilogue" chapters of The Last Horcrux. In YoR Harry's an uncontrolled / undisciplined mess fueled by anger, guilt and pain that enhances his usage of magic and sends him on a journey of self-discovery and knowledge as to what has happened to him and how he can tool it to defeat Voldemort. In support Hermione is trying to discover what happened on the night of Godric's Hollow and if I remember correctly it was a very rune & arithmacy-based research.

In The Last Horcrux, without spoiling I hope, Harry's journey is a pursuit of knowledge to deal with the aftermath of his final battle with Voldemort to rectify what happens to him. Harry goes on the same journey as Voldemort did (in cannon) in pursuit of knowledge and magic though in the opposite direction. He also takes on Hermione's project from YoR inadvertantly (though I'm sure there would be some differences) about what happened at Godric's Hollow.

Full_Pensieve replied:

Significant differences, actually.   There are no horcruces in Years of Rebellion, period.   The story as it stands was outlined weeks after the publication of Order of the Phoenix and mostly written before the publication of Half Blood Prince.  

As such, it was created in the midst of enormous fan speculation about the nature of Voldemort's continued survival, the meaning of the prophecy and the connection between Voldemort and Harry.   Horcruces bother me on a fundamental level - the Icelandic mages in Last Horcrux speak for my functional and philosophical problems with the concept.

I started by using a then-popular hypothesis as a starting point: the Changeling hypothesis, which was popularized via the Red Hen collection of essays.   There's still a description of it to be had, though the writer has done some post-hoc reconsidering:  http://www.redhen-publications.com/changeling.html.   Reading the Red Hen essay won't give you the exact answer re: YoR, but it's a big fat clue. :)  

I was also heavily influenced by the long list of essays presented at the HP Lexicon:  http://www.hp-lexicon.org/essays/essay-index.html.   I read all of them through 7/2003 before developing the original outline, and you'll find influences from them through 2006.  

Finally, it's important to know that I saw classical alchemy as an extraordinarily important element in interpreting the Harry Potter series.   As it turned out, it was a modestly useful element in understanding the final canon, but not nearly as consistent a thread as I thought it was.   In YoR, it matters.   A lot.

Take care,

Mike [FP]

lwj2 posted a comment on Friday 18th May 2012 8:26pm

I've enjoyed this, I do hope you'll pick it up again.

You've got a scope and depth to this I rarely see, whether in fanfic or in an original work.

Thanks for writing and sharing this.

lwj2 posted a comment on Thursday 17th May 2012 4:13am

I'm enjoying your story, it has so many possibilities and you're exploring them quite nicely; not at all canon, but so well within character.

One thing I've noticed, you use "tinker's damn" -- it's not a curse; a tinker's dam was just that, a dam made (usually) of clay to contain molten metal. "Not worth a tinker's dam" was particularly worthless, in that it was used and then discarded without a thought.

As a matter of fact, I haven't seen it used in anyone else's work, within my family it's a commonplace saying. One supposes it was retained en famile, so to speak, because our family has a large number of craftsmen in it's makeup.

Thanks for writing and sharing this story.

brodie1 posted a comment on Sunday 6th May 2012 6:36am

I have read both chapters and the one thing I am glad to see is the relationship between Dudley and Harry is positive. All to often it has be in the reverse. I am glad to see another side of Aunt Petunia as well. Asking for revenge is certainly different to harry always being referred to as a freak, or Lily being branded in a negative way. I like the story annd I look forward to the next chapter. Bye the way, \thank you for sharing. Regards......

brodie1 posted a comment on Thursday 3rd May 2012 3:14pm

A great start to an interesting story. I look forward to the relationship between Dudley and Harry. Most stories tend to have them ignore one another and go their seperate ways. it would be a change to see Dudley and Harry to remain friends and Draco as well. Oh well, just thinking out loud. Thank you for sharing.

mwinter posted a comment on Thursday 26th April 2012 8:16pm

MR. Beans Car!!!!!!!!

amsev posted a comment on Wednesday 18th April 2012 9:26pm

Awesome is a pale and anemic word to describe this story. I hope you do, upon occasion, update this story, simply because it is very well written and a compelling read.

On the other hand, since you've been laboring over this story since 2003.....

Thank you for writing!

Denya posted a comment on Wednesday 11th April 2012 5:26am

Dear Mike (FP),

Seeing you had posted on YoR for the first time in a long time, I went back and re-read it. What a fantastic story it is! Plots & sub-plots. All kinds of interesting magic making - from the idea of 13 (Hero & companions); to the 'compact families & old magic; to Hermione's project (which will turn the Wizarding world upside down); to whatever is up with Detheridge; to the 'Hebrew' magics; to the use of Dreaming in healing... I could go on.

I won't ask if you're planning more posts of notes, since it's a bit silly to ask in a review... But I will say that something I both love to read and admire from an author of an abandoned piece (especially something as fine as this one) is an idea of where they were going with the loose ends.

Things I'd love to know (or at least have an idea of where you going):

At the time you leave the story, Harry as little to no control over the magic he can access when he's angry - did you have any idea how that was going to happen? And presumably it would play a big part in Voldie's defeat.

What *is* the result of Hermione's project?

What further role did you have in mind for the Goblins? Especially Hermione being Saataja?

Obviously, from the most recent post, whatever Harry & Heather had is gone, in favour of Hermione. Does Heather heal? Does she recover that magical voice of hers?

Did you have any idea of how the 'old magics' will play into the story. (I love the whole MacIlvane connection - and Harry's response to the betrothal contract).

What happens to Nicola? Does Harry take over her care? (She has to live in a very expensive prision - so who else). By the by, I also loved her character... And found it a believable explanation for why Covelli & McLeash would split.

Who is the mad butcher? (I'm sure you had someone in mind).

What is the curse that the old-old crowd is talking about? (Again, I'm sure you had something in mind). I also loved the overheard conversation - the idea that each of them had some elixer of life as a gift from Flamel - and the endless bickering with Croaker. de M is just an inspired character!

What *is* going on with Detheridge?

Did you have an idea of who the complete 'Knights of St. Peter' would be? Did you plan on his teachers (Bill, Tonks, Shaklebolt, Flitwick) being part of it, or part of the last battle, or not at all? The same question for the old-old crowd - de M makes it clear this is his last fight, which implies he plans to be part of it, but obviously not part of Harry's 13.

I think all the questions give you an idea of just how enthralled I was with the story. It's just brilliant. Thank you for writing it and sharing it.

I suppose, to be fair, I should add some "constructive criticism". My least favourite bit was Lockheart's obliviation of Heather. That really felt like a deus ex machina solution for the basic conflict through the first - well many - chapters. Harry has something real with Heather. He develops something real with Hermione. But the two girls give him very different things - and not just love vs. lust. Heather can understand the pressures of fame at a young age - the isolation involved, the madness of press, fans, manipulators. She also has a similar childhood in many ways. I won't go into what Hermione gives him - that's pretty obvious. But I think just taking Heather out of the conflict via Lockheart and her no long being/remembering herself was a bit too easy.

In any case, I loved the story on re-read... And if you wanted to post some of those answers, I would love it.

Again, thanks for writing!

Denya

DenyaEva@gmail.com

shannonwarren1 posted a comment on Sunday 25th March 2012 1:11pm

Just found this story and I really love it. I know it has been a long time since you have updated, but I hope you plan to continue.

Cassandra30 posted a comment on Tuesday 28th June 2011 12:06am

Most excellent!

Cassandra30 posted a comment on Monday 27th June 2011 11:40pm

Superb! Actually Harry was right to sign those papers. He has always had to take care of himself. He never has had an adult he trusted that cared about him including Dumbledore and McGonagall. Harry has been emotionally, mentally and physically abused by the Dursleys for over ten years. Then for another six summers.

Now admittedly he should have arranged for Wards to be around the Dursleys but then as he said thanks to Dudley he actually cares whether Petunia lives or not.

Cassandra30 posted a comment on Monday 27th June 2011 11:19pm

Excellent but did Tonks get the stuff out from underneath the floorboard? Where is Hedwig?

Cassandra30 posted a comment on Monday 27th June 2011 11:00pm

Superb start!

cdunphy posted a comment on Thursday 26th May 2011 5:22pm

I dont know if your still writing this story or not but I hope so.I have read it before er I think the first version this one seems a bit different,anywayI quite like it and as I have read all the good harry and hermoine stuff this is almost like reading a brand new story thank you for your effort its quite ambitious and very good fun reading it.
thanks
cd

halffareprince posted a comment on Saturday 19th March 2011 1:47am

I couldn't believe I hadn't reviewed this already. I could gush, but I'll settle for saying this is the best fanfic the HP fandom has ever produced.

cdunphy posted a comment on Thursday 27th January 2011 1:06am

hi I will try to explain something for you and I hope you understand what I am trying to say. When I read books alot of times I am just hearing it the story that is and some of the best books I have read are like that but the ones I like best and in the end they dont even have to be a good story some how have me in the story like I am a part of the narrative, from the first chapter of this story I am there living it so to speak,so I dont know if this is a good story yet but you have the gift of putting me in the story and for that I thank you.
CD

johnsmith posted a comment on Sunday 12th December 2010 10:25pm

i was wondering when you planned on finishing death takes no holidays? as im not really a fan of the outlined version :P. i was kind of confused by the fact that you got 2 more chapters in after this, without actually finishing this one. im also confused as to why you havent been updating it since September of last year? did you get tired of writing it, or did you abandon it?

Professor Complexity posted a comment on Saturday 30th October 2010 1:30pm

I've incredibly enjoyed reading this thus far. One problem is that none of the images which appear as a box in the story actually load up.

Looking forward to hear when the scenes listed above in note form have been completed.


KoV